A village that isolated itself from the outbreak of the plague in 1665. For fourteen months no one was allowed to enter or leave the village. A boundary stone (see below) a half mile outside of town marked the spot where nearby villagers could leave goods and services for the people in Eyam. Divits carved in the stone were filled with vinegar and coins were dropped in for payment. Eyam lost 260 people of their 600 total (estimated) but the isolation prevented the spread of the disease to nearby villages and surrounding areas. An incredible sacrifice!